When it comes to our skin and our bodies, we want to make sure we are always taking care of them the best way we can—whether that’s exercising, making healthier food choices or switching to organic body washes and lotions. But have you ever thought about what’s in your makeup and other cosmetic products?
While makeup and cosmetics are a wonderful thing that bring out and enhance one’s beauty, there are some products that aren’t as good for our skin as we may think. Sure, lipstick may seem harmless, but do you know what’s typically found in it?
Throughout the rest of this blog, our goal is to educate you on what can be found in certain cosmetics and what you want to look out for in order to keep your skin and body healthy by switching to all natural cosmetics in Poplar Bluff, MO.
Trying to tame your mane can be a challenge, especially if you have thick, curly or coarse hair. If that’s the case, you typically look to salon treatments, like a Brazilian blowout for example, in order to try and get your hair under control.
While that is a great way to do so, you want to watch out. Most brands of Brazilian keratin smoothing agents that are used in these blowouts contain high levels of formaldehyde. While this product keeps your hair straight for a long period of time, it’s also incredibly toxic and unhealthy. Long-term exposure to keratin can lead to an increased risk of cancer. So what can you do to avoid getting in contact with this?
- Embrace your curls! Don’t go for the straightening treatments, instead, find ways to embrace your curls and lets them fly free.
- Stick with your flat iron and avoid those salon chemicals.
Perfumes and fragrances
While the ingredients in fragrances are typically kept secret due to them being considered a trade secret, there are many different hazards that can be lurking in your favorite perfumes or fragrances. Some of which include:
- Allergens that can both cause and trigger asthma.
- Phthalates, which are linked to a disruption in your hormones, affecting a woman’s development and fertility.
- Neurotoxins, which are toxic to the brain.
So how do you avoid these toxic chemicals? While it’s hard to prove which fragrances have them and which don’t, here are some simple steps you can take:
- Try to buy products that do not have any ‘added fragrance.’
- Don’t use too much fragrance or perfume at once.
The world of cosmetics is a beautiful one, but one that can lead to various forms of cancers and skin problems if the products you are using contain chemicals and toxins. Here are some of the chemicals that can be found in your everyday cosmetic beauty products:
- Parabens: typically found in lotions, shampoos and some other cosmetics. Over exposure can lead to higher estrogen in the body and ultimately to breast cancer.
- Phthalates: found in nail polish, some fragrances and plastic packaging. This can disrupt your hormones and can lead to cancer.
- Isobutane: this chemical is usually found in hair sprays, gels, shaving creams and mousse and is considered a human carcinogen and a mammary carcinogen.
There are certainly a handful of other chemicals and toxins that can be found in an array of other products and reading your product ingredients and descriptions carefully can certainly help you avoid them. Sticking to all natural cosmetics in Poplar Bluff, MO will help keep you safe and healthy, all while staying beautiful.