Herbs and spices are some of the healthiest ingredients in the world, regardless of whether they are prepared in meals or taken as a daily supplement. Such ingredients are fantastic for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, so give your health and foods a boost with the following five powerful herbs and spices—add them to your list of health foods in Poplar Bluff, MO to ensure you pick some up on your next shopping trip:
- Turmeric: Yellow in appearance, this spice is what gives curry its distinct color. Many people take turmeric in capsule form for medical purposes, as it has powerful anti-inflammatory effects on the body, can improve joint function and contains curcumin, a cancer-fighting compound and powerful antioxidant. Add a little turmeric to your cooking, smoothies or fresh juices not only to reap the health benefits of this spice, but also to experience a unique flavor.
- Garlic: Both fresh garlic and garlic supplements receive praise for boosting immunity and slowing diseases. That’s because it is chock full of all the good stuff necessary to combat sicknesses like the common cold or flu. This is why your mom or dad made you chicken soup with garlic cooked into it whenever you got sick as a child. Incorporate garlic that is sliced, smashed, in whole cloves, as roasted bulbs or in powered supplement form to take advantage of its immunity boosting properties, as well as its anti-cancer and heart health benefits.
- Basil: No matter the variety of basil, this magical herb is known to stave off bad bacteria growth, contains essential nutrients for cardiovascular health and can help to provide relief to individuals living with inflammatory health issues, such as arthritis or inflammation of the digestive track or bowels. Basil’s anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties are not its only health benefits—it’s high in vitamin K, which plays a role in helping your blood to clot when it needs to. Good thing basil is a versatile herb you can add to just about everything you make and eat.
- Rosemary: Rosemary is an herb with many benefits attached to it. For starters, studies have shown that the rosmarinic acid in rosemary may have the ability to prevent allergies, reduce nasal congestion and even suppress allergy symptoms from forming. Also, this herb may help your cardiovascular health, aid with indigestion and improve memory function. When cooking, the strong flavor of rosemary is excellent in soups, perfect for making stocks and enhances the flavor of meat dishes.
- Cinnamon: Looking for a spice that’s high in antioxidants, shown to reduce inflammation and capable of lowering cholesterol and blood sugar? Then cinnamon may just be the spice you’ve been looking for. While indeed healthy, this spice is also nutritious with its offerings of iron, calcium and manganese. So go ahead and sprinkle quality, organic cinnamon on top of your oatmeal, add it to baked goods and chili or even put a dash in your morning cup of coffee for a kick of healthy, delicious flavor.
At The Bee Hive Natural Foods, we are here to answer all your questions about important health foods in Poplar Bluff, MO. Come by today for a chat!