Most people want to live a healthier lifestyle, but it can sometimes be a challenge to do so. Eating a diet that is healthful usually centers around food sources that are both rich in protein and low in sugar and fat. Thankfully, there are many different food options that fit both of these requirements, and they can be found at any store specializing in health foods in Poplar Bluff, MO. Work a few of these protein sources into your diet to stay full longer and fuel yourself for an active lifestyle:
- Seafood: Seafood is a fantastic source of protein, and because it is low in fat, it blends perfectly with a balanced, healthy diet. Even the fish that is higher in fat, such as salmon, is still a healthy option since it has a beneficial dose of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
- Poultry: Foods like chicken and turkey, specifically the white meat portions, are an excellent source of lean protein. In order to avoid any excess fattiness, remove the skin before cooking and try to avoid the fattier dark meat.
- Milk, cheese and yogurt: Dairy sources of protein are beneficial for a number of reasons. They contain calcium, which is great for bone health, and many are fortified with vitamin D. Drinking skim milk, having Greek yogurt with your breakfast or having some low-fat cheese as a snack can keep your bones and teeth strong, and may even prevent osteoporosis.
- Eggs: Omelets, frittatas and fried eggs are all great options for a protein-packed breakfast. As an added bonus, eggs are a very inexpensive option, and are also very versatile.
- Beans: Many people don’t think of legumes as good sources of protein, but there is as much protein in just half a cup of beans as there is in an ounce of broiled steak! They are also packed with fiber, which can keep you feeling full for longer.
- Soy: There is a high concentration of protein in soy, and eating 50 grams of soy protein daily can help lower your cholesterol by 3 percent. Because soy protein can replace higher-fat options, it is a great choice for people who want to stay heart healthy.
- Lean beef: Zinc, iron and vitamin B12 can all be found in lean beef, a protein source with only one gram more of saturated fat than a skinless chicken breast.
- Meal replacement drinks: If you’re on the go, a meal replacement drink or protein shake can be an excellent source of nutrition. To get the most out of protein shakes, bars or cereals, try to find a product with at least 6 grams of protein and a minimal amount of sugar and fat.
No matter what your health goals may be, our team at The Bee Hive Natural Foods is here to help you achieve them. Our inventory of high quality, natural products and health foods in Poplar Bluff, MO is designed with a balanced, wholesome lifestyle in mind. We pride ourselves in offering the best products available to our customers, and we would love to help you find some amazing products. Stop by today and see what we have in stock!