Since you were little you were taught to eat your vegetables, clean your plate and make healthy choices, but were you ever told to make sure you eat your ‘superfoods’? With our society’s heavy focus on making healthier choices in order to look and feel better, the term “superfood” has become a more household term.
What are superfoods? There is no medical definition or determining criteria, but in short, superfoods are foods that are dense with nutrients and offer numerous health benefits. These foods are mostly plant based, although the list can include fish and some dairy, and are packed with healthy nutrients that are good for our bodies. Some of the nutrients found in these superfoods include:
- Healthy, natural fats: said to prevent heart disease.
- Antioxidants: said to help prevent cancer.
- Fiber: prevents diabetes and assists in aiding digestive problems.
Now that we’ve listed out some of the reasons superfoods are good for you, lets list out some of the different types of superfoods you can find at your local all natural food store in Poplar Bluff, MO.
- Walnuts. Walnuts are a superfood because they’re packed with tryptophan. Tryptophan is an amino acid that releases the ‘feel-good chemical’ serotonin; in other words, walnuts are a good natural mood-booster! Eating walnuts can stabilize your mood and help you tolerate stress.
- Spring garlic. Garlic is good for you overall, but the draw of seasonal spring garlic is that it’s a food that can help you lose weight. It holds a chemical called allicin, which is where garlic gets it strong odor. This chemical may not smell the best, but it stimulates the brain and prevents you from overeating which can ultimately lead to weight loss and weight control.
- Spinach. These tasty greens offer high amounts of iron, which is a major component in red blood cells, which keeps our muscles full of oxygen and gives them energy. Spinach is especially good for people that don’t eat meat, this is where you can get your iron.
- Salmon. Salmon is rich in a fatty acid known as eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA. This form of omega-3 helps block the release of enzymes cause by UV rays, which diminishes collagen and ultimately prevents wrinkling and sagging of the skin. Salmon also regulates oil production so your complexion remains moisturized and free of acne.
- Not only are strawberries delicious, they are loaded with antioxidants that can help keep our skin healthy. Our skin is constantly exposed to different elements that can have negative effects, but with the amount of antioxidants that are in strawberries, they can help repair damaged skin and keep it looking dewy and wrinkle-free.
So, if you’re looking for different foods to add to your diet that will keep you feeling healthy and looking great, try picking up some of these superfoods the next time you’re at your local all natural food store in Poplar Bluff, MO. There’s nothing better than eating something that tastes good and is good for you!