When you’re browsing for food items and you see that a product proudly claims it’s free of GMOs, you might think that it’s therefore a healthy choice for you and your family. GMOs, or genetically modified organisms, extract genetic code from one place and add it to another, effectively creating plants and animals not found in nature. Certainly anyone looking for true health foods in Poplar Bluff, MO would be wise to avoid GMOs.
However, many people confuse non-GMO and organic foods. This is an important distinction, and the fact is that organic foods are simply held to much higher standards. Let’s look at five ways that organic foods beat non-GMO:
- No use of GMOs: Let’s get this out of the way first—organic foods are always free of GMOs. That means organic producers don’t use feed with GMOs, and are even expected to eliminate incidental contact with GMOs. The USDA prohibits the use of GMOs in any product marked “organic.” There are some loopholes, but this is as close as you’re going to get to being 100-percent free of these non-natural processes.
- No use of harmful pesticides or herbicides: When you buy organic, that means your food is protected from harmful chemicals found in artificial pesticides and herbicides. These toxic substances have been linked to the development of serious conditions such as lymphoma and leukemia. Non-GMO crops have no such ban on these chemicals, which are also bad for the environment.
- No use of hexane: This substance may be found in products such as canola oil and soybean oil. The industry hasn’t done extensive research on it, although there may be a link to brain tumors and nerve damage. But it seems that companies are playing roulette with our health—they’re just assuming that hexane is safe for consumption. Here again, non-GMO crops may contain hexane, whereas organic crops will not.
- No growth-producing hormones added: It’s widely known that conventional meat producers use growth hormones to artificially add weight to livestock. Organic producers are banned from using such substances. And, you guessed it: the non-GMO label doesn’t protect you from growth hormones.
- No regulation of non-GMO label: Perhaps most shocking of all, there’s no government oversight of the non-GMO label. This is not the case with organic products, which need to meet rigorous federal regulations. Essentially, non-GMO is practically a meaningless distinction, whereas certified organic is the real deal.
There’s only one place to buy organic health foods in Poplar Bluff, MO: The Bee Hive Natural Foods. Stopping by our store means you’re making a healthy choice for you and your family. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will help you make decisions that encourage a healthier diet and lifestyle. We have an extensive selection of natural and organic produce, meats, dairy and snacks. We also carry an array of natural supplements, cosmetics, teas, oils and lactose-free and gluten-free items. All of these come at affordable prices. Stop by today and put your wellness first!