You’ve probably heard or read about people touting the benefits of essential oils in Poplar Bluff, MO. But do they really work for anything beyond giving off pleasant scents? Read on to learn more!
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are extracted from plants, capturing the essence of its scent. They can be obtained through steam processing or distilling. The oils are then combined with a neutral “carrier oil” to dilute them for use.
They’re often used in aromatherapy, an alternative medicine practice that focuses on the benefits of natural scents to achieve different health results by interacting with the limbic system. They are not meant to be swallowed, but some types can be applied to the skin, with the intent of the skin absorbing the plant chemicals.
Health and usage claims
The jury is out on whether essential oils have actual health benefits. At this time, there is no conclusive scientific evidence to support the assertion, but you may still find that they have soothing, energizing or other useful effects. They are not a substitute for traditional Western medicine. However, as long as you take proper health precautions and read about proper usage, they are safe for topical use and aromatherapy.
Proponents suggest essential oil benefits in Poplar Bluff, MO may be attainable for the following:
- Stress, anxiety and depression: Aromatherapy can be a complementary way to help relax, particularly if used in tandem with massage.
- Headaches: Peppermint and lavender oils are popular, and there is some scientific evidence to support the idea that applying these oils to the head can relieve tension.
- Sleep and insomnia: Lavender is famous for being relaxing. Many people find that they sleep better while smelling the scent of lavender.
- Reducing inflammation: Studies performed on mice have shown that thyme, oregano, rosemary and caraway found that they can have a positive effect on the symptoms of colitis, but this hasn’t been tested on humans.
- Antibacterial or antimicrobial uses: Tea tree and peppermint have been shown to have some antimicrobial properties, but there is no evidence to suggest that they will work on the human body.
- Mosquito repellent: Citronella oil has been shown to repel mosquitos—but don’t ingest it to avoid bites!
Always use caution. Just because essential oils are natural doesn’t mean they’re safe for all uses. Be cognizant of any allergies you have, and watch out for rashes, headaches, asthma attacks and allergic reactions. If these occur, discontinue use and seek professional medical help immediately.
To choose quality essential oils, look for a reputable brand who only uses pure plant compounds and carrier oils.
Get the benefits of essential oils in Poplar Bluff, MO
The Bee Hive Natural Foods, an all natural food store in Poplar Bluff, MO, offers a variety of products that are rich in health benefits. Stop in today to discover our complete selection of natural and organic foods and products, homeopathic supplies and more. We are happy to answer any questions and help you find the ideal products to enhance your diet and help you look and feel your best.