If you love dairy products, considering a dairy-free diet in Poplar Bluff, MO might seem more like punishment—but there are some very good reasons to give it a try, even if you’re not vegan. Dairy-free diets can help rebalance our hormones and reduce inflammation, among other benefits. Here are some reasons to think about ditching the dairy:
- Dairy products contain significant amounts of antibiotics: The dairy industry uses a lot of antibiotics to prevent mass infections in their cows. Unfortunately, these antibiotics also make their way into milk and derivative dairy products. They can cause antibiotic resistance in humans, which is troublesome when you need to fight off an infection.
- They may raise your estrogen levels: Did you know that increased estrogen levels have also been linked to female cancers? It also increases the risk of testicular and prostate cancer, acne and hormonal imbalances. Dairy contains a significant amount of estrogen, so if you’re trying to balance your hormone levels, going dairy-free might be helpful.
- They can cause digestive problems: Scientists estimate that about 70 percent of the world population has lactose intolerance, which causes digestive issues. Dairy products are one of the eight most common allergenic foods, which can lead to irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, diarrhea, gas, nausea and bloating. Although it’s hard to give up the cheese and butter, it might be worth it to settle your stomach.
- Dairy products can raise insulin levels: Did you know that milk has an insulin-like growth factor, which is meant to fatten up calves? If you have issues with insulin-related disorders, like polycystic ovary syndrome, diabetes and other metabolic disorders, you might consider going dairy-free. The added insulin can interfere with your health care. It’s also not great when you’re trying to lose weight—some dairy products have even more of an effect on insulin than consuming white bread.
- They may cause increased inflammation: Because they’re a common allergen, dairy products can cause inflammation throughout the body. This, in turn, can cause headaches, joint pain and more. If you have any health issues caused by inflammation, giving dairy products a break may help you feel better.
- They can cause a number of other health issues: Finally, dairy products can cause other health issues, like asthma attacks, excess mucus production, acne, narcolepsy and even migraines. That’s why some doctors recommend an elimination diet—you might find that getting rid of the dairy is the key to feeling better overall.
One of the main questions people have when considering a dairy-free diet is how they’ll get the calcium and nutrients dairy can provide. The good news is that you can easily get all the vitamins and minerals you need from other foods—it just takes a conscious effort. Plus, there are plenty of dairy-free substitute products available in Poplar Bluff, MO. After a while, you might not even miss it!
If you need supplements and dairy-free products, The Bee Hive Natural Foods has you covered. Call or stop by today to check out our selection.