Whether you’re on the whole foods diet, or you just want to get more plants and natural foods in your diet instead of processed junk food, you may be interested in which healthy foods are the best for you and most essential to your daily life. Read on to find out which natural foods in Poplar Bluff, MO you should be eating every day:
- Whole grains: Brown rice, rolled oats, farro, quinoa, brown rice pasta and barley are all examples of heart-healthy whole grains. Whole grains are not just essential for heart health—they can reduce the risk of heart disease and contain fiber, which reduces constipation and is essential to weight management.
- Starchy vegetables: Starchy vegetables include squash, potatoes, pumpkins and sweet potatoes. The carbohydrates in these vegetables, unlike those in white bread and pasta, are nutrient-dense and keep you feeling full longer. They also benefit your eyes, immune system, skin and bones, as well as include fiber.
- Beans and legumes: Black beans, peas, chickpeas and lentils are great sources of protein, especially if you’re on a plant-based diet. They are also high in B vitamins, iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and folate.
- Berries: Berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are loaded with antioxidants and fiber, as well as many other vitamins and nutrients. They improve blood sugar, as they are a natural source of sugar, and can help lower cholesterol.
- Fruits: Other fruits in addition to berries carry a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. They are naturally low-calorie and low in fat and sodium, which make them a great snack. Make sure to get a variety of citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruit as well as apples, pears, pineapples, bananas and mangos, which are rich in fiber, potassium and vitamin C.
- Cruciferous vegetables: Cruciferous vegetables like arugula, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale and collard greens contain an enormous number of benefits, including antioxidants, fiber and vitamins C, E and K, as well as carotenoids and minerals.
- Leafy greens: Leafy greens like lettuce, cabbage and broccoli are essential to any diet. They are high in nutrients and contain glucosinolates, which prohibit the growth of cancer. They also contain vitamins and minerals and are high in fiber while being low in calories.
- Non-starchy vegetables: Non-starchy vegetables are essential just like starchy vegetables. They contain more nutrients and are lower in calories. Look for sprouts, artichokes, bean sprouts, beets, asparagus, carrots and green beans as your side dishes. They contain phytochemicals as well as fiber, and many vitamins and minerals.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and your favorite types of nut butters are great snacks that keep you full longer. They are sources of healthy fats as well as vitamins and minerals. They help manage inflammation in the body and reduce the risk of heart disease.
The Bee Hive Natural Foods carries many natural foods in Poplar Bluff, MO. Since 1979, we have provided health-conscious Missouri customers with an outstanding selection of the very best groceries and nutritional supplements. We are proud to be your source for safe, effective and affordable natural foods in Poplar Bluff, MO. Come see us today!